7.01.2009

renaldi.com - censored

A few months ago I met with the Department Head of Photographs at a major art museum to show them my new book Fall River Boys. During the meeting I asked if I could show another more recent body of work that appeared on my website. They obliged and handed me a laptop to bring up my site. When I entered the url a message was returned that my website was blocked due to adult content (likely due to a handful of nudes in one of my series titled hotel room portraits). This was regarded as no big deal by the curator. I was told that there were many artists whose websites were blocked because there was some form of nudity in their work. I however was flabbergasted for many days afterwards - that a world class museum of art had internet filters preventing curators from viewing images of the naked human body. To this day I wonder if they are able to view their very own collection online?